Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat Reviews
The Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat – a Comprehensive Review:
Don’t worry! You don’t need to spend hundreds of hours reading thousands of consumer reviews — I’ve compiled all the useful information you need below – the Pros and the Cons of this car seat:
Table of Contents for the Evenflo Triumph Advance: (Jump ahead!)
Todayâ€™s car seats offer so many features that the choices can be overwhelming! During my research, I actually found contradictory information about this car seat from different websites! So, I decided to create a spreadsheet to track all of the facts and reviews and narrow down my choices to the best car seat! The Evenflo Triumph Advance was one of the winners of my research findings, and I’ll outline everything you need to know (the pros and the cons!) one this page:
Safety is the number one concern when buying a convertible car seat, so one of the first things I did was head over to ConsumerReports.org to review their safety ratings. You can only get into the site if you subscribe to the website, so I took out my wallet in order to get the most updated information about convertible car seat safety. I was glad to see that the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat got the highest ratings across the board by Consumer Reportsâ€™ advisory board, making it a Consumer Reports best buy. (Although their system of full and half shaded circles – rather than numbers – makes it impossible to determine precisely how the car seats tested for safety in their crash tests.)
The seat is made with EPP foam, the highest rated material in the auto industry, which is durable, rigid, yet capable of absorbing tremendous impact. (It feels like an extremely hard piece of foam – see picture on the right.)
Another important safety feature is the ease of the adjustments of the straps. If a car seatâ€™s adjustments are too time-consuming or complicated, then my sonâ€™s father or grandmother is less likely to bother ensuring a tight fit, especially on a hot or cold day, or when in a rush, they probably wonâ€™t bother to re-thread the harness to make sure that the straps are properly adjusted. And sometimes we take our son out with a coat in the morning, and in the afternoon the weather has warmed considerably, and he no longer needs the coat, which means that the straps must be tightened from their morning setting.
Best Price of The Evenflo Triumph Advance
After searching numerous websites and local stores, the best price by far was located on Amazon, buy it! Every dollar saved is a dollar you can deposit into your child’s college fund!
(Not to mention the money we save when I DON’T enter the local stores, because I am not tempted to make lots of impulse buys that just end up cluttering up our home!)
I’ll come back and update this page if I notice any sales or cheaper places to buy this model.
Comfort of the Evenflo Triumph Car Seat:
If baby isnâ€™t happy in his car seat, you can be sure that Mom and Dad arenâ€™t too thrilled either! The Evenflo Triumph offers thick padding, a roomy seat, and is like a little recliner for your baby or toddler. Many parents who made the switch from rear-facing infant seats to the Evenflo Triumph reported that their kids finally stopped screaming each time they were buckled into their seats!
Additionally, since the seat is large and high, your baby will be able to easily see out the window and not feel claustrophobic as can be the case in smaller seats where the baby canâ€™t see the passing scenery. This has definitely made many car trips happier traveling experiences!
As you can see here, the reclining mechanism allows you to easily move the seat from a sitting to a leaning position by just pulling on the red lever and tilting the seat backward or forward with your other hand. This makes the transition from upright seating to reclining and resting simple and quick.
Although there are three reclining positions, do read your manual and note the rules that are applicable to the reclining positions. Unfortunately, some parents skip that part of the instructions and think that any setting can be used at any time. (Each car seat model has its own sets of rules.) These are the rules for the Evenflo Triumph Advance:
- When installed rear-facing (5-35 lbs) you MUST use the fully reclined (#1) position
- When installed forward-facing for a child weighing between 20-50 lbs you may use either the semi-reclined (#2) position OR the fully upright (#3) position
Ease of Adjustments of straps of the Evenflo Triumph Convertible Car Seat:
Additionally, the 5-point harness easily tightens with a quick turn on the TensionRight knobs on each side of the seat. (See the photo of my hand around the tension knob on the right.) To me, the ease of the adjustments means that my sonâ€™s caregivers will actually adjust the straps as appropriate for his size and the bulk of his clothing on a regular basis. I know that other car seats can be adjusted properly â€“ but they can take too much time and effort for me to be confident that other caregivers will actually ascertain the proper fit and make the necessary adjustments with each car trip. With the Evenflo Triumph, adjustments are a snap, and even my mother-in-law with arthritis can easily adjust the straps around the baby and thus ensure a safe car ride.
The red tabs show you exactly where to place the straps so there is no confusion about how to place the straps on your baby’s shoulders, and you can rest assured that your precious cargo is properly secure in her safety seat during your travels.
Ease of Installation of the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX:
Statistics from policemen and firefighters show that unfortunately, many people do not install their car seats correctly. If it is difficult to properly secure a car seat, then it is likely to be installed improperly when moving it to another vehicle.
If you regularly use two vehicles for your baby, itâ€™s a good investment to purchase an additional car seat for each additional vehicle to avoid the cumbersome task of reinstalling the seat on a regular basis. This way you can have your car seat inspected for free by the local fire or police station and rest assured that your baby will be traveling safely on a regular basis. The Evenflo Triumph comes with Latch connectors, which make securing it to any newer-model car pretty easy. Securing this car seat in an older car will more time, so if you are not using the Latch connectors, this is not a seat that you want to be regularly transferring between vehicles, although once it is secured, the adherence to the vehicle is rock solid.
Customer Reviews: Real parents talk about their Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat:
Real testimonial: “Recently I was in a serious car accident where my vehicle hit a utility pole and flipped over twice. The car seat did not move and my child was not injured at all. Not a scrape or bruise on him. I bought the same car seat again.”
How does the seat cover wash?
Babies poop and throw up while traveling and the majority of parents reported that the seat cover washed well. Note that a few parents said that the padding moved around during washing â€“ they probably did not use the recommended gentle cycle on the washing machine. Many mothers reported multiple washings over several years and said that the seat cover still looked as good as new. The harness straps should be spot-cleaned and not immersed in any liquid.
Pros and Cons of the Evenflo Triumph Advance convertible car seat:
(Back to Top)
Pros of the Evenflo Triumph Advance:
- The Evenflo Triumph Advance is about half the price of the similarly rated Britax Boulevard car seat. Take the extra money that you save and put it into your baby’s college fund!
- This seat has one of the simplest mechanisms for adjusting the harness height and the harness tension from all the convertible car seats on the market. No need to access the rear of the seat and no need for re-threading.
- The InfiniteSlide harness height adjustment ensures a perfectly correct shoulder harness height at all times; there is no need to guess which slot is closer to your child’s shoulder as you must do with other car seats that have several slot options.
Cons of the Evenflo Triumph Advance:
- Some users reported irritation from the tabs on the shoulder straps. The red tabs at the top of the straps give you a clean indication of where the shoulders should be. If your baby is getting red marks on his neck, then the straps are too tall and must be lowered a notch. You can also buy quilted strap covers for just a few dollars.
- The Evenflo Triumph Advance is not the simplest car seat to install, especially in the rear-facing position. If you will be transferring this seat between cars regularly, you’ll want to have an additional one for each vehicle. One installed properly, it is fine.
- Although it isnâ€™t a deal breaker for a car seat, many parents were disappointed in the flimsiness of the cup holder. (See my photo on the right.)
- In the rear-facing position, in some cars (it seems that this was mostly an issue in cars with very countered seat backs), the tension knobs got wedged into the upholstery of the car, making them difficult to reach. This was never an issue in the forward-facing position.
Evenflo Triumph Advance Color Options
Conclusion: The Evenflo Triumph Advance LX is a clear WINNER in my book. While not 100% perfect, the seat is safe, simple to use, and costs about half the price of similarly rated Britax car seats.